Interest in CBD for pets is increasing exponentially. But confusion persists as to what is the best product for pets. Many people are taking the approach that any full-spectrum CBD tincture for people is just fine for pets. Is it??
The answer is “no, it’s not”. Some human tinctures (and non-tincture CBD products) contain ingredients and flavors not suitable for pets. Any with trace amounts of THC should be avoided. “Mass marketing groups” who sign up our neighbors to become CBD marketers — have figured out they can say “it’s great for pets, so buy it!” But what is it they’re trying to sell you for your beloved furry companion?
And when it comes to dosing, confusion is widespread!
We tell people to be wary of the marketer who makes medical claims (such as one we saw where their product says: “benefit from the medically proven benefits” and another that clearly said the product was a “food supplement”. You can’t state either — and the FDA specifically hasn’t allowed CBD to go into food products yet.
And certainly be wary of people giving dosing recommendation based on what they give their pet. We saw one person on social medial posting the following asnwer to someone asking about how much they should give their dog: “I give my pup 2-drops in the morning”. Great… two drops of “what”? Is their pet a 125-pound Bernese Mountain Dog or a 4-pound Yorkshire Terrier? And are they using 750mg or 100mg tincture? The specifics mean a lot!
People who know Smart Hemp CBD know we’ve worked with veterinarians, specialty formulators and have reviewed different studies using CBD with pets.
In fact, we’re getting ready to do a ‘field study’ about CBD and mobility. But when it comes to dosing, the dosing methodology we follow works well for pets. When we first started, we followed the DVM-derived formula that specifies starting low and working up if you don’t see the desired effects. One University study said (paraphrasing) ‘if your pet has never used CBD, start with a week-long “load dose” and back down by half week two and beyond’. Both will work. But we know too many people start too low, don’t see the effect they were hoping for, and give up. No pet is the same. So you may need to adjust a little up or down — but stay within the general guidelines, and you’ll be fine. (If you follow a dosing (or serving size) recommendation based on your pet’s weight, you will be off to a good start. In general, the formula we follow is … for the first week if your pet has never had CBD… 0.7mg per kg of weight, 2x daily. Then in week two and beyond, 0.5mg per kg of weight, 2x daily. Some people find CBD’s effect dissipates after 4-5 hours and wonder what to do then. We recommend CBD treats during the day to give your pet a little added boost.
Why Smart Hemp CBD is a superior product.
- We spent considerable time vetting suppliers at the forefront of ingredient quality, formulation expertise and with working relationships with veterinarians, scientists and medical researchers.
- Our principal supplier has been a pioneer in establishing cannabis transparency standards and their own transparency reporting. As such, quality, purity and safety are guaranteed with Smart Hemp CBD products.
- Our supplier sets the bar incredibly high and offers us more than typical Certificates of Assurance, but also Certificates of Origin — providing us visibility to the source of Industrial Hemp … from “seed to final product” … along with laboratory testing for the absence of contaminants.
- Lastly, our supplier is currently working with three different universities to test the delivery methods, therapeutic efficacy, cellular uptake, and ‘patient’ responses to various cannabinoid treatments. The resulting study data will help physicians, researchers, care providers, lawmakers, and manufacturers in areas such as product development, treatment planning, policy-making and regulatory oversight.
“But, you ask – how does this impact Smart Hemp CBD for pets?”
Their efforts are impacting every facet of the cannabis industry – and as such, positively impact the development of CBD specifically for pets — with the Smart Hemp CBD label.
When companies/marketers start telling consumers “all CBD is the same”, it’s just not true.
Full Spectrum vs. “What”?
Again, online discussions say: “if it doesn’t say full spectrum, don’t get it! It’s no good!” Well, they’re not quite right!
- They don’t know about the manufacture of the product they’re considering.
- People tout one extraction process over the other – often times saying one in particular is the best because it uses no solvents. In fact, all extraction involves solvents – but the good companies fully remove it … leaving a pure, high quality CBD. The fact is – a good extractor is able to pull a full profile of cannabinoids and terpenes from industrial hemp – and separate them so they can build the specific profile (or spectrum) needed for a specific product.
- What’s unique about Smart Hemp CBD is, we offer both full spectrum products and what we might call “specialty spectrum” or “focused spectrum” because we combine specific cannabinoids (CBD is one example) with other specifically cataloged terpenes and carrier oils needed to address specific conditions a pet owner wants to address. Yes, we provide full-spectrum tinctures, but also specific spectrum products for specific purposes. All for pets and animals!
There is a difference!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
- All CBD should carry the FDA disclaimer: “CBD products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not meant to diagnose, treat or cure any disease”. If you don’t see it, don’t buy it!
- We do not to use terms like “therapeutic” or list ingredients as “active and inactive”.
- We remind people – not ignore serious conditions or ignore your vet’s advice. Don’t stop seeing your vet. If your vet isn’t ready to embrace CBD, that’s okay because you are responsible for your pet’s well-being and need to be vigilant with whatever you give your pet. And, you can also seek out a vet who more readily embraces CBD and other natural care for pets.
If you don’t receive our emails, be sure to add your name to our database by going to our home page and scrolling to the bottom and entering your email address. https://MySmartHempCBD.com